Monday, October 29, 2007

“You’re Gonna Get Hurt”

I bet you’re wondering what’s that supposed to mean?
I’ll tell you in a few. It was pretty funny though, and I had a hard time disguising my laughter. In fact I don’t think I was even trying to disguise anything.

This class was not too shabby. We made ICE CREAM! I must say, I was not a fan of it. I didn’t like the taste of the cream. I’m not sure what it is but it didn’t cut it for me. We also made a tart with pastry cream and the layered dough we made the other day (the one for napoleons). That was pretty cool because we got to design them with fruits, and it was gorgeous.

I worked with Scott, the new guy, though he’s not very new anymore, is he? It was pretty cool working with him, but I think I liked working with Sofonie the best so far. She is super friendly and we just got along well and communicated well. But you gotta be versatile right?

One ice cream we made was a mixture of whipped cream and whipped egg whites (meringue) with strawberry puree. It was pretty tasty, but again, not my fave. Oh, we also made meringue cookies which look liked they could be awesome, but we didn’t see the finished product since Chef took them to be dried overnight somewhere.

Ok, so let’s get to it. At one point during the class, one of the guys (the one from Staten Island) burned his finger. Just the week before Grace burned her hand with sugar. It was pretty bad. She has blisters all over her hand. His seemed not so bad, but he kept it in ice water for a while just to be on the safe side. While he was doing so he asked the young guy (just turned 21) in our class to please carry his table mixer back to where it belongs. The kid said flat out, “No.” I thought he was joking, so did the guy who asked him. But when he said “you’re joking, right” the kid said “no, maybe if you didn’t come around poking your nose into everybody’s station, saying stupid shit, then I’d help out.” And I was in disbelief, as was everyone else. (This was during our dinner break so Chef stepped out for a minute). And then the guy from Staten Island was like, “you’re a real fucking dick, you know that? I asked you for a favor, nicely, and you’re just being a dick.” And there were a few exchanges, and then he says “you fucked with the wrong guy, you better be careful or you’re gonna get hurt.” It got all ghetto. The kid was like, whatever, but it was funny.

At that point a few other people in the class were glancing at each other with smirks, and I was just very quiet but with a shit eating grin on my face. I don’t need to hide it, I didn’t do anything wrong. If both of those kids were out of the class we’d be ok. But now there will just be a little tension in the class. But I guess it was funny. I never thought it would come down to those two. In fact, I thought they were friends, but I guess not, or at least not anymore. I thought someone else who worked with the Staten Island guy would have beef first. His current partner, a construction business owner, is a really nice guy but has expressed his dislike for him, and currently works with him as partners, and there is occasional tension between the two, and I thought they’d exchange words first, but I was wrong.
In all, it was a good class as far as our preparation of the food went, but a can of worms was opened up. Maybe a can of whoop ass will be cracked open next.

No comments: