Sunday, October 7, 2007

Age is but a number

I got a message/post from someone, who is hopefully not one of my friends posting for the heck of it (though that's very much appreciated as well), but is instead someone who is interested in my blog, which is great! Well more importantly, they're interested in knowing the age breakdown of the class.

So, there are about 11 of us in the class. Some classes have less, others, usually more. And there is quite a diverse age range.

Let me list the ones I am sure of:
18 - F
21 - M
21 - F
23 - F
24 - M (me!)
28 - M
31 - M
someone who graduate HS in like '76? Making him about 50?
and then I can only guestimate the other ages, and I'll say:
20- M
28 - M
24 - M

I was about to say some of the people are mature, others aren't, but basically everyone has their own personality, and this transcends age. There are the mature 23 and 24 year old kids (like myself and Grace, I'd say) and an immature 28 year old. Our oldest classmate is, lets just say not the top of the class.

With that said, you mentioned you will be joining in January. Well that's awesome! I hope to meet you because we'll be on the same schedule. But, do know now, I don't share this blog with my classmates, mainly because it is divulging a little more than is necessary. Though, hopefully, a little less than "too much", whatever that may be. But it may be a breach of trust if they find out I'm talking about them, good or bad? I don't know.

Hope this helps. And I don't think 35 is on the older side, and when you get here, and everyone is in uniform, you'll see it quickly makes no difference. And hopefully you'll be having a few drinks after class with your older and younger classmates, alike.

As a final word, I believe a few of the guys call the 50 year old in our class "Pappy," which I refrain from calling him, but he doesn't seem to mind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Edwin,

Thanks a lot for the breakdown! I'd absolutely be having drinks with my classmates regardless of age - my concern is that they'd think I was uninterested because I'm older. Your comments are reassuring.

Your blogging secret is safe with me. I'm a journalist by day, so I'm quite good at being "off-the-record."

I'm coming to NY (I live in DC) to tour the school on Oct 18. I'd love to meet you then, or when I start in January.

Is there any way to reach you "off line" so I don't have to post my name/e-mail address publicly?

Thanks a lot, and keep up the great work.

P.S. A couple of other FCI-related questions. How much food science do your instructors teach along the way? Are there any outside reading assignments or extracurricular work other than studying for the occasional quiz?

Edwin "The 'Cookin' Cat" Cintron said...

Hey,
Hopefully you'll read this comment. To answer your questions, we haven't done any food science. I don't know if we will be doing food science, either. I do have a feeling that some students in the class may have a harder time than others absorbing/understanding the molecular explanations (or whatever goes into it, though, of course, I may be very wrong).

There are no assigned outside readings or work (however, we should be studying independetly for the HACCP - food safety test). Though a number of students who can afford to not work a 9-5 may intern somewhere, and some already work in the restaurant/catering industry. However, it is apparent that some students go home and practice turning cocotte, and butchering a chicken, and others do not. Perhaps they have other jobs that prevent this, I don't know.

Chef Tom has definitely recommended a number of interesting readings, and the Library on the 3rd floor seems to be a good source of food literature. But nothing is required. I must say, I have practiced butchering a few chickens at home, and cooking them, and I can feel my confidence boost, and I am very comfortable with a whole chicken, and I won't go out and spend a fortune on chicken breast anymore.

You can e-mail me at edcintron@gmail.com if you have anything you don't want to post. Just to be clear, please understand that I am still an amateur and a student, and I don't have all the answers, nor am I a great chef. I just have a little bit of insider info, and an opinion which I am willing to share with anyone who cares to read about it. And it would be awesome to meet up with you. We'll be in touch!
-EC