Monday, August 20, 2007

Testing, one, two...

Like I said, I want to post about more than just food.

Before I've even showed up for orientation I find myself on the 11th floor of 50 Court Street, in Downtown Brooklyn. There is a clinic for pre-job/school disease and drug testing. I (they) needed to make sure that I did not have Tuberculosis or Hepatitis A.

I find myself sitting, and waiting, again. But this time its a little different. There are mostly ethnic woman, and most of them have little cups in their hands. I'm sure you can put two and two together without my spelling it out four you. (haha?) They were there for drug testing for their new jobs, and I was there for some blood work. After passing out for about 20 minutes with my head cocked back and mouth wide open (I wasn't going to see any of these people ever again, I hope), my name was called. "EDWARD CITRON!" The glory of being named Edwin Cintron is getting your name butchered in any way possible. The most common is Edward and Edmund, with an occsional Evan and e-win. Cintron is most commonly mistaken for Citron and Clinton. I've come to accept them all.

I pay my $45, cash only, and enter a room with a young hispanic lady. probably my same age(ish). She skillfully finds a juicy vein in my arm, and with a few opening and closings of the fist we fill up two vials with my luscious burgundy life juice.

Then I need a TB test. This, as I'm sure you know, consists of a slight injection under the skin of TB testing juice. Not sure of what it is, but it starts as a little bubble of liquid that soon dissipates under the skin. In 48 hours you need to return to have a doctor tell you that you don't have TB. I don't have TB.

I was supposed to have orientation on that same day (Friday August 17th), but I received a call telling me it was moved to Monday, the 20th. I had taken a day off from work for nothing. Though I did make the best of, I would have liked to have saved it.

We also need a pair of "chef shoes." These are black, thick leather shoes/boots, with rubber soles. My dad just gave me an extra pair that he had about 2 weeks ago. Maybe that was was a sign that I'm doing the right thing. I haven't worn them yet, but I don't feel like spending another 50+ dollars. I hope they're comfortable for the almost 6 hours I will be standing every night of class. I'm sure I'll let you know if they are.

Orientation is at 3:00PM today. I think I receive my culinary tools, locker assignment and I'll get to meet my peers and some other important people that will accompany me on my journey. I'm sure no one will miss me at work, but I will try to keep it under 2 hours. I'm skipping my lunch break to try and make up for it.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: